Are You ready to save the future? We count on you. Boonar Studio, in conjunction with Auto®, Pixologic, Local Motors and cardesign.ru is announcing the latest Auto® Design Challenge - Futu®Vision: Machines of the Underworld. Winners of this contest will be announced at this year’s “Auto® Design Conference” and “ZBrush User Group Meeting” at #TDZG2014. We teamed up with Auto®, Pixologic, Local Motors and cardesign.ru to organize this amazing contest in search of the best design for the vehicle that will roam through Earth’s crust in its bleak future. Join our quest for creating the machine for the new exciting futuristic world, apply your work and show your skill.
READ THE INTERVIEW with people behind this project or just scroll down and submit your design.
Auto® Design Challenge
ORIGINAL IDEA: MARKO PRPIC ZETS
STORY: NYKO DE PEYER
April 7th 2214. The Earths population is in decline and resources are starting to become extremely scarce. The air is a thick brown mist. The Oceans are a salty, almost lifeless brine. The ozone layer has become so thin that radiation from the sun is now a constant threat to humans. Weather conditions in some part of the world are extreme. In other parts of the world violent wars have come to a standstill with the knowledge that life on Earth is near it’s end. In short, the Earth is used up, and human habitation on the planet will not be possible for much longer. The World Governing Federation (WGF) has ordered that any remaining resources be used only for the construction of massive transfer shuttles which will soon transport people off of Planet Earth and to the newly discovered habitable planet of e176.
Despite rapid progress on the building of the transport shuttles, the toxicity of the air and the increasing radiation mean that living on the surface of the Earth will not be possible for much longer. In order to maintain a healthy population to transport to e176, the World Governing Federation decides that humans must go underground until construction on the 271 transport shuttles can be completed. In order to do this, the WGF must divert a portion of resources to build a fleet of tunnel drillers, known as ROTUAV’s. Scientists and researchers estimate that Surface Toxicity Levels (STL’s) will be excessive within the next 14-18 months, while engineers for CosTransit, the company building the shuttles have estimated a launch date of 48 months.
Thus entire cities and transport corridors will need to be built in a very short amount of time. Because of this, the WGF has sent out a request for proposal and prototype for vehicles that have the ability to quickly drill and maintain tunnels (Rapid Operational Terraforming and Underground Agitation Vehicles (ROTUAV’s)) and help create this new underground world.
GRAPHIC ELEMENTS & VIDEO: NYKO DE PEYER
To participate in this challenge you must use ZBrush for your 3D model. You can submit WIP sketches done inside or outside ZBrush but all of your 3D work must be done in ZBrush.
Even if you don’t have a ZBrush license you can still submit your design. Work can be done in 2D or 3D. If you reach top five you will get ZBrush license among all other prizes.
If you have not seen ZBrush in action, it is a very powerful 3D modeling program using an innovative interface to allow users to model in ways other software suites cannot. The winning designs from the ZBrush entries will be printed on Makerbots by Local Motors and displayed at the Auto® automotive design conference. Winners of the 2D and other software category will win a license to ZBrush to be able to take your 2D designs to the next level, or for those using other software suites, to learn a whole new one.
See ZBrush in action:
You have received a request for proposal to design and present a ROTUAV to the World Governing Federation. You have also received access to resources from landfills, mega junk yards, and abandoned cities. You have a limited amount of natural resources that will be granted to you by the WGF, and are strongly encouraged to use what you can from the other resources you are given. Keep in mind that the resources from landfills and junk yards can go through limited reprocessing, but it is costly.
You have 4 weeks to design and present your concept for a ROTUAV to the WGF to enter into the prototyping phase. If your design is chosen it will become part of a fleet of other ROTUAV’s. and will be put to service as soon as one can be built.
- Design a ROTUAV
- Must seat at least one person (in 2214 this could be fully automated, but it should still have space for an operator in case something goes wrong)
- Must have some kind of device to move and clear earth in order to create underground tunnels or spaces
- Must have bright lights on the front to facilitate working underground
- Must make contact with the ground i.e. no hovering vehicles
- Minimum 4 images
- Front ¾
- Rear ¾
- Side profile
- Environmental / mise en scene / in situ rendering.
Drilling underground can be very challenging. Take into consideration things like:
- crush cages
- the need to operate underground for long periods of time, thus requiring substantial fuel reservoirs as well as lubrication reservoirs
- if this is clearing/ moving earth underground, devices that help move the rock and earth out of the way
- Challenge launch: March 4th
- Submission ends: April 3rd
- Voting: April 6th – April 13th
- Judging selection: April 11th – April 14th
- Winners announcement: April 27th
Concept Designer & Design Consultant
Illustrator, Modeler & Animator
Concept Designer & Digital Sculptor
Transportation & Concept Designer
Designer, Design Evangelist
JURY SLOT 8
Reserved for someone very special
Reveal date: March 21st 2014
3D ZBrush Challenge Prizes
- 1st Place: LM Makerbot printed model of the design + presentation Shown at AutoR + $500 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 2nd Place: LM Makerbot printed model of the design + presentation Shown at AutoR + $400 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 3rd Place: LM Makerbot printed model of the design + presentation Shown at AutoR + $300 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 4th Place: LM Makerbot printed model of the design + presentation Shown at AutoR + $200 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 5th Place: LM Makerbot printed model of the design + presentation Shown at AutoR + $100 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
2D/3D Challenge Prizes
- 1st Place: Licence to ZBrush 3D software, presentation Shown at AutoR + $500 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 2nd Place: Licence to ZBrush 3D software, presentation Shown at AutoR + $400 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 3rd Place: Licence to ZBrush 3D software, presentation Shown at AutoR + $300 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 4th Place: Licence to ZBrush 3D software, presentation Shown at AutoR + $200 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- 5th Place: Licence to ZBrush 3D software, presentation Shown at AutoR + $100 + 2 Custom printed Auto R 2014 T-shirts
- Wackiest design: Copy of How to Draw + Custom Printed Auto R 2014 T-Shirts
- Most feasible design: Copy of How to Draw + Custom Printed Auto R 2014 T-Shirts
- Auto(R) Pick Invitees pick: Copy of How to Draw + Custom Printed Auto R 2014 T-Shirts
What is Auto®?
Since first edition in 2009, this is the largest automotive design conference in Europe. Event is made of lectures, panel discussions, workshops and exhibition on automotive design. We would like to thank all speakers, visitors and sponsors because without their enthusiasm and help this event couldn’t happen.
What is Local Motors?
Free online and physical workspace to make your vehicle innovations into reality. You’ll always be recognized and rewarded for your contributions.
What is ZBrush?
ZBrush is a digital sculpting tool that combines 3D/2.5D modeling, texturing and painting. It uses a proprietary “pixol” technology which stores lighting, color, material, and depth information for all objects on the screen. The main difference between ZBrush and more traditional modeling packages is that it is more akin to sculpting.
What is Boonar?
Boonar connects top creatives (with clients), helps them to work independently or in a team and promotes their work. Apart from joint projects and projects for clients, Boonar allows creatives to use and offer services of tutorials and workshops, especially in order to create and work on interesting projects. We are always open for cooperation with new people.
What is cardesign.ru?
Founded in 2001 in Russian language, CarDesign.ru is the leading resource for transportation design in Russian speaking world. More, it gained mythical status worldwide thankfully to amazing sketches and fresh ideas submitted by its readers and rare photos in history section, therefore in May 2011 we launched international edition in English called Car Design Community. Cardesign.ru has 210.000 unique visitors and 2 million page impressions per month.
What is ZBrush User Group Meeting?
ZBrush UGM is always a place to absorb the widest knowledge, the most useful tips and hints on ZBrush, to discover and re-discover the power of creating and re-creating the worlds you see in your creative minds. It is our own industry’s seminar on getting the best out of the Zbrush software.
At the #TDZG2014 Boonar Studio will present lectures of David Bentley, Ben Mauro and many others. There will be also be workshops, so get ready. As an announcement for the UGM, we prepared a competition in cooperation with Local Motors, Pixologic and Autor, so check that out as well.
find out more
What is #TDZG2014?
This is the first “Tjedan dizajna” (Design Week in Croatian), a platform for all types of design. We’ll bring together designers, businesspeople, art historians and mass audience for vast range of events compressed in a short timeframe. Our mission is promotion of design. We look forward to seeing you at “Tjedan dizajna”.
Am I eligible to participate in this contest?
If you got what it takes to create amazing design or at least think you do than – yes.
Where do I submit my designs?
Just press that SUBMIT YOUR DESIGN HERE button and it will take you to the FUTU(R)VISION challenge page.
Can I participate in other Local Motors contests?
It would be a shame if you wouldn’t.
What is the best place to start learning ZBrush?
Just go HERE and take your time.
Where can I download templates for my designs?
Download templates and files to help get you started on the Local Motors hosted Challenge page under the ‘Requirements’ tab.
Can my design be inspired by existing designs?
Inspired – yes. But you are not allowed to copy other’s work. You see, we are looking for ORIGINAL concepts only.
Can I invite friends to join this contest?
Actually… YOU MUST!